The adventure of being pregnant for the first time is something many woman go through. Luckily, today, we have so many resources out there to get our hands on that we can make informed decisions about what's happening in our bodies. Unfortunately, many women don't take advantage of the information out there. I feel truly blessed to have stumbled upon a practice of midwives really close to my home. It was the best thing that ever happened to me and my babies. For those of you who might be intimidated by a midwife, or think they are just some hippie voodoo, please put your mind at rest. They are wonderful, highly educated individuals who are the best thing for a healthy baby. The only reason to go to a ob/gyn for a pregnancy is if you have a difficult pregnancy or birth. I found the best of both worlds with a ob practice that had three midwives on staff. My visits rotated between the four of them so I could get to know each of them. When the big day came, I would know whomever was on call. Of course, I had my favorites. But they all contributed to my birthing experience.
To say I learned a lot in the process is an understatement. The most important thing I learned is that you have to be an advocate for your own body. Get to know yourself, your needs, desires, and learn for yourself what it means to have a baby. Not what hospitals today and most ob/gyn practices lead you to believe. If you haven't already seen The Business of Being Born a documentary by Ricki Lake, please do so. You can get it on NetFlix. Most woman I meet expect to get pregnant, continue their lives status quo, get an epidural, and pop out the kid. Some even think it's perfectly fine to schedule a C-section on a particular day so they can watch a football game (true story) even though there are no health issues. I just wish all women would educate themselves on what it means to have a baby, a natural birthing process, and the variety of birthing options out there.
I gave birth in a hospital. My husband wouldn't dare let me do anything different. But I never was hooked up to monitors except when they needed to make sure I was okay. I only got into the bed at the last portion of my laboring. The entire beginning I was on a birthing ball and playing trivia games to get my mind off the pain. Madeline was a horrific birth. I will not lie to anyone. After having her, I thought I was going to die. It was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. She took 27 and a half hours, five hours of hard labor with endless pushes in the end. I got so many stitches the doctor lost count. Everyone I spoke to I told I would never do it again.
The beauty of doing something once, is that you learn from your mistakes. The second time around I knew what I had done wrong. I stayed up the entire laboring process. That is, when my contractions first started I stayed mobile and walked. I did not lay down. Laying down messes everything up and slows down the whole process. If you don't believe me look up Ina Mae's book about midwives. She tells you how it is. Nicholas only took 15 hours and I firmly believe it was because I stayed active, didn't lay around, walked a lot, and Madeline had greased the landing.
No comments:
Post a Comment